Public Health Resources for Medical Education
The Public Health Collection serves as the online destination for identifying, developing, and sharing resources aimed at improving the public health content along the continuum of medical education. Through the AAMC-CDC Cooperative Agreement, the collection supports the goals of the Academic Partnerships to Improve Health (APIH) to share and promote public health education resources to enhance the teaching of population health concepts.
The integration of public health into medical education curriculum exposes physicians to varied sources of epidemiologic and statistical data, socioeconomic factors, and public health systems that collectively influence the burden of disease in a community. A comprehensive understanding of public health and specific community needs is vital for physicians in order to:
- Facilitate behavioral change in a given population;
- Improve clinical and patient care best practices;
- Identify institutional and community resources to promote better health outcomes for individuals and populations;
- Ensure they understand their roles in the public health system and work with public health colleagues to promote and protect health;
- Reduce health disparities and improve health equity for all.
This collection is a compendium of tools and resources to assist with the incorporation of public health principles into medical education.